Venetia was commissioned by Lord Ashburton in 1893. Designed by W.C. Storey and built by Naval Construction & Arm., Ltd (later Vickers). She was owned by Whittaker Wright from 1898-1902 as Sybarite, and William Clark in 1902 as Cherokee, and then purchased by Cornelius Vanderbilt in 1902 and named North Star. Vanderbilt was an experienced yachtsman and during his ownership she served as the flagship for the New York Yacht Club and cruised extensively abroad. She was at Cowes when WWI broke out, and she was turned over to the Royal Navy and converted to a hospital ship. She was dropped from the Llyod's registry in 1920.