Blade accompanied by a certificate of registration as Hozon Tosogu [Sword Fittings Worthy of Preserving] no. 365837, issued by the Nihon Bijutsu Token Hozon Kyokai [Society for the Preservation of Japanese Art Swords] on 19th December 2003
The smith Taneyoshi was born the son of a village blacksmith of Sekiyama village in Shiga Gun, Omi Province. In 1844 at the age of 24 he entered the school of Gassan Sadayoshi in Sakai under the name Ishiyama Yoshibumi. In 1851 he went to Edo to study under Taikei Naotane to return to his home in the following year. In 1855 Naotane permitted him use of the character 'Tane' and he adopted the name Taneyoshi. In 1862 he was retained by the Zensho Han of Otsu in Omi Province (Shiga Prefecture). After the Meiji Restoration in 1868 he made rice milling equipment, and made swords for presentation to Shinto shrines. In 1893 he met Shimazaki Toson, who stopped there on his travels, and made a small sword for him. He had an eye affliction and never married, but he adopted his nephew Taneaki and with him in 1896, went to set up forge in the house of Sannomiya Yoshitane, an official in the Imperial Household. He worked there by appointment to the Imperial Household, and upon his death at the age of 83, in 1903, Taneaki returned to continue working at Otsu.