The design of the present commode relates closely to work executed by the celebrated Parisian bnistes Jean-Franois Oeben (matre 1759) and Jean-Franois Leleu (matre 1764). On the one hand, the mounts to the top of the legs and the apron on this piece echo those of the table de toilette or meuble transformation, a product of the Oeben workshop but possibly executed by Leleu whilst still employed in the latter (now in the Wallace Collection, London cat. no. 210[F110]). On the other hand, the mounts fronting the frieze drawer mirror those of the commode made by Leleu in 1772 for the bed-chamber of the Prince of Cond's bed-chamber at the Palais-Bourbon (now in the Louvre).
The commode bears the false engraved signature of Martin-Eloy Lignereux and the date of 1826, which does not tally either with the death of the latter in 1809 or the fact that, as Ledoux-Lebard records, it is unlikely the bniste and marchand-mercier ever stamped his pieces.