Jean-Pierre-Alexandre Tahan (1813-1892) first established rue Basse-du-Rempart in 1847. He moved to 11, Boulevard des Italiens circa 1850 where he remained until 1878. Official supplier to Emperor Napoleon III, specialising in the Renaissance and Rococo styles. He was awarded a silver medal at the 1849 exhibition, a médaille de seconde classe in 1852 and a gold medal in 1867. He used to work with artists and makers such as Cornu and Cremer.