A related table was commissioned around 1705 by William Cavendish (d. 1729) Marquess of Hartington, later 2nd Duke of Devonshire, while serving as High Steward of Queen Anne's Household. Its golden bas-relief top displayed his coronet-ensigned cypher in a bed of acanthus-wrapped ribbon scrolls, as popularised by Daniel Marot (d. 1752) 'architect' to William III. The table's serpentined legs were also festooned with Roman foliage issuing from festive satyr-masks with plumed and foliated head-dresses (see O. Brackett, English Furniture Illustrated, London, rev.ed., 1950, p.144, pl. CXVI).
Related acanthus-enriched satyr masks appear on the present table legs and are accompanied by a feather-plumed nymph or deity. Similarly plumed deities, with hair knotted beneath their chins, surmount two of Queen Anne's mirrors at Hampton Court Palace that were supplied by John Gumley (d. 1729), glass manufacturer and cabinet-maker (see R. Edwards and M Jourdain, Georgian Cabinet-Makers, London, rev. ed., 1955, figs. 16 and 17). The heads are likely to represent the Queen as Minerva, protectress of the arts and as defender of England or 'La Pallas d'Angleterre' as noted in a cartouche bearing Queen Anne's cypher in a book of ornaments issued in 1712 by Cornelius Gole 'po' l'usage de plusiers Artisans' (see J.Hardy and A. Turpin, 'Cornelius Gole's Book of Ornament', Apollo, January 1993, p. 21, fig. 8). Gumley was later in partnership with James Moore, and these tables' acanthus-wrapped feet relate to those of the 'Meller' table at Erddig, Wrexham, which was thought to have been supplied by James Moore, but is now attributed to John Belchier (Edwards and Jourdain, op. cit., fig. 31).