Designed in the robust 'antique' Roman manner introduced in the 1730's by the artist/architect William Kent (d.1748), this architectural 'throne' chair is carved with the arms of the Stachouwer de Schiermonnikoog family. In 1638, the island of Schiermonnikoog in the Dutch Frisian islands was acquired by Johan Stachouwer, becoming the principal seat of the family in the 18th Century and passing by inheritance through the Van Starkenborgh Stachouwer's until 1858. This armchair was, therefore, presumably supplied for some form of ceremonial use on the island.
With its 'Grecian' guilloche-carved seat-rail and vigorously scrolled arms, this chair was most probably executed around 1760 and in its overall character, it appears to reflect the influence of Sir William Chambers (d.1793). Appointed 'Architect' to King George III and a fervent admirer of Kent's Palladianism - indeed, it was Chambers who published Kent's role as Frederick, Prince of Wales' designer at Kew Palace in The Plans, Elevations, and Perspective Views of the Gardens and Buildings at Kew in Surrey of 1763 - Chambers designed a 'throne' of similar 'antique' character for the President of the Society of Arts, circa 1759-60 (illustrated in J. Harris and M. Snodin, Sir William Chambers Architect to George III, London, 1996, p.163, fig.244). The date of circa 1760 is further reinforced by the 'antique' ribbons that entwine the legs, as this motif also starts to emerge in pattern-books of ther period, such as on chimney patterns published by W. Paine in the Builder's Companion of 1758.