Vryburg was occupied on 18.10.1899 by 1300 Boers under de la Rey.
The Times History states:
'South of Mafeking, the next place of any importance along the border was Vryburg. A small detachment of Cape Police under Assistant-Commissioner Scott was stationed there, and, combined with the local volunteer corps, might, perhaps have attempted to make some sort of defence. But the population of the little town was Dutch, and in close touch with the commandos over the border ... The Resident Magistrate was weak and incapable, and could think of nothing better than to send imploring telegrams to Kimberley asking that Vryburg should not be defended. On the afternoon of the 14th, De Beer's Bloemhof Commando destroyed the railway and telegraph at two points between Vryburg and Taungs, thus cutting off Vryburg from communicaiton with the outer world. On the morning of the 15th a number of the more influential citizens called a public meeting to demand the surrender of the town and approached members of the Police and volunteers individually, urging them to refuse to fight if called upon. In spite of this attitude on the part of the inhabitants, and of the opposition of the magistrate, Major Scott paraded the men and, after addressing them, asked for volunteers for the defence of the town. Six men responded. Seeing that resistance was useless, Major Scott retired with his handful of police upon Geluk, and there, in the bitterness of his disillusionment at the disloyalty of men who had sworn to fight for the Queen, took his own life that same evening'