The decorative brass handles, in the form of Bacchic ring-bearing lion-masks, correspond to a pattern that was possibly invented by the court cabinet-maker Benjamin Goodison (d. 1767) and feature on the cistern with satyr-headed lion feet at Althorp, Northamptonshire, which he is thought to have supplied in about 1730 (R. Edwards, The Shorter Dictionary of English Furniture, London, 1977, p. 639). This model of handle is featured on a pair of pedestal-supported vases in the Victoria & Albert Museum, London (D. Fitz-Gerald,Georgian Furniture, London, 1969, no. 92, inv. no. W.38-1934) and another pair sold by T.C. Litler-Jones, Esq., Christie's, London, 14 December 1967, lot 167. The latter pair was formerly at Lulworth Castle, Dorset. These same mounts were used by Thomas Chippendale and appear on various wine coolers supplied by his firm to Dumfries House and Paxton (see C.Gilbert, The Life and Work of Thomas Chippendale, London, 1978, vol. II, figs.120-122). A further related pair of urns and pedestals was sold from the Coke Collection from Jenkyn Place, Christie's, London, 17 October 1996, lot 35.