These torchères were supplied for the Grosse Pointe, Michigan estate of Stonehurst, a Jacobean mansion constructed by architect Albert H. Spahr in 1915 for Joseph Schlotman and his wife, Stella Dunbar Ford. Mrs. Ford was the granddaughter of Captain John Ford, founder of the plate glass industry in the United States. A prominent figure in Detroit society, she was known for her lifelong dedication to charity work. Stonehurst was a stately home for the Schlotmans, replete with a staff of up to a dozen, and filled with a collection of museum quality European paintings, Oriental rugs and antiques. In 1974 the house was sadly demolished and its contents sold off.