Possibly commissioned by the Nawab of Arcot.
Acquired in Spain by Baron Lionel de Rothschild (1808-79) and subsequently installed at 148, Piccadilly, London, W.1.
Thence by descent to Victor Rothschild, Esq., 148, Piccadilly, London, sold Sotheby's house sale, 20 April 1937, lot 195.
Acquired by the present owner circa 1973.
Dr. Vilhelm Slomann, Burlington Magazine, 1934.
R. Edwards and K. de B. Codrington, Apollo, XXII, 1935, p.15-6.
Apollo, December 1973 (Lennox Money Antiques trade advertisement). Dr. Amin Jaffer, 'On the Coast of Coromandel', Christie's Magazine, July 1998