A similar pair with mounts by an unknown silversmith was sold in these Rooms lot 672, November 1990. Another with German silver mounts is in the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Nishida H. and Tsunoda M., Nihon Toji Zenshu, Ko-Imari (Chuo-Koronsha 1976), p.63.
Tankards of various sizes were ordered by the Dutch East India Company from the 1660's. Their form follows closely the European models sent with the orders. In many cases these were German stoneware. The decoration was invariably in Chinese transitional style, however reworked in the Japanese manner.
The silver mounts are struck with maker's mark A.H flanking a stork, for Arend Hoogland (1733-1784) Haarlem, and with late letter for 1748. Arend Hoogland was admitted master of the Haarlem silversmiths' guild in 1733. He was frequently appointed assayer and dean. His last known work is dated 1761.
A considerable number of his works is extant, varying from forks and spoons to liturgical vessels. Two pieces are illustrated pls. 371, 372, J.W. Frederiks, Dutch Silver, Wrought Plate of North and South Holland from the Renaissance until the end of the Eighteenth Century, Vol II, (The Hague, 1958)