Opposite, above, the view of the Neue Palais is taken from August Wilhelm Ferdinand Schirmer's 1822 watercolour and ink original (now in the Schloss Charlottenburg archives) which shows the palace as seen from Klausberg Hill, the highest point of Sanssouci Park, with the river Havel in the distance. The watercolour is illustrated by Hans-Joachim Giersberg, Eva Sprecher, Ilse Baer et. al, 'August Wilhelm Schirmer' Exhibition Catalogue (Berlin, 1996), p. 54, no. 1.12, where Dr. Baer points out that although Schirmer inscribed the watercolour as being an accurate topographical view from the Dragon House, the columns and circular steps on the left do not correspond to the Dragon House. There was a vineyard on the slopes of Klausberg Hill (perhaps represented by the brown band running from left to right in the foreground) and the Dragon House, a small pavilion-like building in the Chinese style, was built to accommodate the vintner. At the same time, the Belvedere, a two-storied circular building, was built nearby at the top of Klausberg Hill (between 1770-72). Although the view does correspond to that seen from the Belvedere, it appears that Schirmer has elaborated the columns in his watercolour as the columns of the Belvedere are not fluted.
Opposite, below, The view of Potsdam is seen from Prince Hardenburg's estate at Glienicke. In May 1824 Prince Karl (younger brother of Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm) bought the estate from Hardenburg's son. While he was still negotiating the sale, Prince Karl commissioned Schinkel to draw up plans for the conversion of the existing buildings at the centre of the old estate to be converted into a new palace and he commissioned Lenné to work on the surrounding park. It would appear that Schinkel didn't finalise his plans until the end of 1824 or beginning of 1825, and the view shown on this vase pre-date Schinkel's alterations.
Above, right, the view of the fountain below the terraces at Sanssouci is taken from Carl Daniel Freydanck's 1843 painting Ansicht des Königl. Schlosses Sanssouci mit den Terrassen. For Freydanck's painting see Ilse Baer et. al, Along The Royal Road, Berlin and Potsdam in KPM Porcelain and Painting 1815-1848 (New York, 1993), p. 105, no. 24. The view pre-dates Friedrich Wilhelm IV's alterations at Sanssouci which included the re-bilding of the bridge in the foreground.