The architectural form of these candlesticks and the three lions to each base conform to a similar documented design by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-1852) and manufactured by John Hardman & Company. The Hardman archive lists a set of six produced in 1846 for a 'J.V.Gandolfi Esq.' at 47s each, £14 2s.
COMPARATIVE LITERATURE: A.W.N.Pugin, Master of Gothic Revival, BGC/Yale, 1995. Exhibition catalogue, No.75, page 310.