Other vases of this unusual form from the Collection of Baroness Burton were sold in these Rooms on the 22nd November 1950, lot 19 and then offered on two subsequent occasions, 19th October 1970, lot 104 and 12th July 1982, lot 55. Another pair, lacking covers, is illustrated by Reginald Blunt op. cit. (London, 1924), pl. 25, no. 86.
While there is much research still to do into the matter of decoration on Chelsea porcelain of this period, it has been suggested that the style of painting on the present lot resembles that on the 'Cleopatra' vases, which were contemporary commissions from the Chelsea factory in 1762 and gifted to the British Museum by Dr. George Garnier, the Apothecary-General to the Army, in 1763 (see Elizabeth Adams, op. cit., (London, 1987)) p. 163.