These albarelli are part of a service of drug-jars and albarelli supplied to the Carthusian monastery of San Martino in Naples. Pieces from the service bear dates from 1697 onwards. For a drug-bottle from the same monastery, see Rudolf Drey, Apothecary Jars (London, 1978), pp. 76-77, where he suggests that the set probably came from Carlo Antonio Grue's workshop. Drey describes oxysacchara oxysaccharum as a 'product obtained by evaporating a mixture of sugar and vinegar, sometimes with the addition of pomegranate juice, to a syrupy consistency'.