Doddington Hall's historic furnishings include the 'Cumberland' bed from Seaton Delaval, Yorkshire. It dates from the beginning of George II's reign and was occupied in 1745 by his son the Duke of Cumberland (d.1765), the hero of Culloden. Following its inheritance by Edward Hussey Delaval, F. R. S. (d.1814), the bed was transferred to Doddington. It is possible that these chairs also originated from the Seaton Delaval state apartment and were transferred to Doddington, having been comissioned by Admiral George Delaval in the early 1720's. They relate to the contemporary chairs provided for Chicksands Priory, Bedfordshire, which accompanied Mary of Modena's bed and tapestries (see: D. Watkin, The Royal Interiors of Regency England, London, 1984, p. 54). A related suite of chairs at Knole in Kent is illustrated in J. Fowler and J. Cornforth, English Decoration in the 18th Century, London, 1974, p. 120.
Two further pairs of chairs from the same set as the present lot were sold anonymously, in these Rooms, 1 April 1993, lots 23 and 24.