The lamp design, in the romantic George IV 'Elizabethan Tudor' style, evolved from the earlier Roman-candelabrum style introduced around 1800. With their rose-flowered and buttressed Gothic pillars raised on pinnacled, quatrefoil-flowered and heraldically-charged plinths, they relate to the 'Tudor' Coade stone candelabra introduced at George, Prince of Wales's Carlton House conservatory, whose architecture, designed in 1807, derived from that of Westminster Abbey's Henry VII chapel (illustrated W. H. Pyne's Royal Residences, 1819). In the late 1820s the Prince's candelabra were incorporated in the new apartments at Windsor Castle, and a pattern for a related candelabrum, decorated 'with pinnacles and flying buttresses', featured in R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts, 1826. Ackermann noted that, 'At the time when the Roman style of architecture was adopted in this country, candelabra were also introduced and have since formed a conspicuous part of elegant furniture', and also commented that 'from their vertical form they are well adapted to the Gothic style'. A Gothic lantern of related character was designed by George Bullock and manufactured by W. and S. Summers of New Bond Street, London (see C. Fox (ed.), London: World City 1800-1840, London, 1992, p. 412, cat. no. 319).