During the first half of the 19th Century, the firm of Newton, together with Bardin and Cary, occupied a leading position in the manufacture of globes in London. Founded by John Newton (d. 1844) circa 1782, he was joined by his son around 1818, William (d. 1861), and in the 1830s by Miles Berry. Finally Willam's son, William Edward Newton (d. 1879) joined the firm and from the 1840s, they were known as W. Newton & Son. For a long time the address of the firm was 66 Chancery Lane, London (E. Dekker and P. van der Krogt, Globes from the Western World, London, 1993, p. 118, 119, 177).
A large pair of 23-inch globes by Newton, dated 1851, was sold anonymously, in these Rooms, 6 July 2000, lot 95 (£56,400). Another pair of 18 inch globes by Newton, dated 1860, was sold anonymously, in these Rooms, 17 April 1997, lot 70 (£41,100).