These bedside night-tables, with 'Elizabethan' spiral-cabled legs and gothic chamfering, may have been acquired by Colonel Robert Myddelton (d.1872) following his marriage in 1832 to Fanny Mostyn Owen. In the 1830s, the style was also favoured by A.W.N. Pugin in his design of chairs supplied for the Tudor style Saint Mary's College, that had been built by Joseph Potter near Birmingham Oscott (P.Atterbury, et al., 'A.W.N. Pugin, Master of Gothic Revival', Victoria & Albert Museum, Exhibition Catalogue, London, 1995, p.167 fig. 8-8). They were supplied en suite with a wash-stand, with china-railed top (Lot 264) and a bed (lot 475).
In the 1872 'Inventory of the Household Goods and Furniture etc. etc. at Chirk Castle', these tables are listed in the Chapel Bed Room as a 'Pair of oak bedside stands'.