This model of candelabra closely relates to one produced by the ciseleur-fondeur Franois Rmond, and retailed by the marchand-mercier Dominique Daguerre. It was first recorded in Rmond's ledgers in 1785 as a 'paire de girandoles figure, de 18 pouces de haut, portant une corbeille,' when it was sold to the duc de Penthivre. Several examples were purchased around that time by Daguerre who supplied a pair to the princesse Kinsky for her lavishly-decorated residence 55 rue Saint-Dominique (see Ch. Baulez, 'Le Luminaire de la Princess Kinsky,' L'Estampille/L'Objet d'Art, May 1991, pp. 88-89).
The popularity of this model lasted throughout the Revolution, and was still produced by Rmond during the Consulat and Empire periods, although with slight variations in the design of the socles, branches and bobches. The present pair, lacking candlearms, is identical to a pair of candelabra acquired by the Imperial Household around 1805, now in the Muse National du Palais de Fontainebleau (see J. P. Samoyault, Pendules et Bronzes d'Ameublement entrs sous le Premier Empire, Paris, 1989, p. 155, inv. F.564c), suggesting that it was executed around that time.
A similar pair with vert de mer marble pedestal bases sold anonymously at Sotheby's Monaco, 18 June 1994, lot 272.