THE COUNTS POTOCKI AND LANCUT
The huge castle of Lancut, in Galicia, South Poland, with its 308 rooms, was redecorated by Stanislas Lubormirski (d. 1783) and his wife Isabelle Czartoryska with the help of Vincenzo Brenna, co-architect of Pavlovsk. In 1786, they purchased marbles in Rome and furniture in Paris. Lancut was inherited by his grandson count Alfred Potocki. They continued to enrich the collections throughout the 19th century, buying in London, Paris, and Vienna. The table à café on offer is seen in situ in the Mirrored Study (also called the boudoir) at Lancut in photographs of 1932-33 (illustrated in J. Piotrowski, Castel in Lancut, Lwów, 1933, p.72). The collection remained at the castle with Alfred Potocki up until 1944 when 600 cases of paintings, furniture and porcelain were shipped by train to Vienna and then to Paris and New York, where little by little the collection was sold off.