No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis
Eleanor Coade's 'Artificial Stone Manufactory' was established at King's Arms Stairs, Narrow Wall, Lambeth, which is now the site of the Royal Festival Hall, in 1769. Eleanor Coade (b.1708-d.1796) and her daughter, also Eleanor (b.1733-d.1821), started off the business with a Daniel Pincot, who had been manufacturing artificial stone in Lambeth during the 1760's. Pincot is the probable vendor of 138 lots, catalogued as 'The Year's Produce of Artificial Stone Manufactory' at the newly opened Pall Mall auction rooms of James Christie on 22nd and 23rd December 1767. The partnership between Coade and Pincot lasted until some time in 1771. The younger Coade, for the most part, continued the business. In 1792 John Sealy (b.1749), Mrs Coade's cousin, was appointed a partner in the firm. Sealy died in 1813. Coade pieces from this period are often stamped with both their names (see lot 330). The factory was then run by a William Croggon (also probably related), for eight years until Coade's death in 1821. Croggon continues the business until bankruptcy in 1833, primarily due to unpaid debts by the Duke of York to whom he had supplied substantial commissions. Croggon's son Thomas then refounded the company before selling the remaining stock and moulds at auction in 1843.
COMPARATIVE LITERATURE: Alison Kelly Mrs Coade's Stone, 1990