The krater-vase cisterns are wrapped by scalloped gadroons of reeds and hollowed flutes in the George II Roman manner such as feature on a mahogany cistern supplied in 1738 to Blair Castle by John Hodson (see R. Butler, Wine Antiques, Woodbridge, 1986, p. 119). While the latter was raised on lion paw-feet, these oval cisterns incorporate plinths in the early 19th century Grecian manner. They belonged to the celebrated artist and poet Stephen Tennant (d. 1978) and are likely to have been introduced to Wilsford Manor, Wiltshire following his return in 1945 to the home that had first been occupied by his parents by Sir Edward and Lady Tennant in 1906. As part of his redecoration of the house and embellishment of its gardens, he purchased quantities of statues, urns and vases and many came from Crowther's of Syon Lodge. These cisterns are likely to have formed part of the dining room, whose redecoration was discussed in a letter of 1951. Stephen Tennant wrote about creating pelmet-cornices embellished with 'Corals if possible with seashells', and illustrated coral-enriched drapery centred by a conch-blowing triton (see Sotheby's House Sale, Wilsford Manor, 14 & 15 October, p. 20 and lot 695).