A key-stone modelled as a satyr mask by Lipscombe & Co. was sold by Christies, The Secret Courtyard, The Seago Collection, 9 June 1999, lot 88.
There were numerous potteries within the vicinity of Chesterfield, the majority founded in the second half 19th century and closing by the first and second World Wars. Geographically the area was ideal, with seams of clay deposits running between seams of clay and salt transported over the Pennines from Cheshire to Chesterfield, led to the production of salt glazed pottery for domestic use. The improvements in infrasturcture encouraged the industrialization and growth of numerous manufacturering potteries in the this area, such as Lipscombe & Co. The company was founded in 1878, also recognised under the name London Pottery, specialising in the production of water filters.
James Pearson purchased the pottery in 1886 and connected the works by railway to his Oldfield operation. By 1931 production ceased.