The arms are those of Clifford impaling those of Weld, for Hugh Charles, 7th Baron Clifford of Chudleigh, who married in 1818 Mary Lucy only daughter of Thomas Weld of Lulworth Castle, Dorset who was afterwards created Cardinal Weld. The Cliffords of Chudleigh were a leading Catholic family in the eighteenth century and patronized both Charles and Frederick Kandler extensively between 1730 and 1776. Hugh, 3rd Baron Clifford of Chudleigh (1700-1732) was evidently the original purchaser of these salvers from Kandler, as there are traces of the arms of Blount under the arms of Weld on the dexter side of the shield. Hugh, Lord Clifford had married in 1725 Elizabeth, daughter of Edward Blount of Blagden, Devon and sister-in-law of the 9th Duke of Norfolk. Thus the Cliffords were connected to the preeminent Catholic family of England, who were also considerable patrons of Kandler.
Two sales at Christie's, London, in 1965 and 1966 for Lord Clifford of Chudleigh included a number of objects bearing the makers' marks of both Kandlers. Pieces from the workshop of Charles Kandler included a pair of smaller salvers, a waiter, and a set of three casters made in the same year. They are illustrated in Michael Clayton, Christie's Pictorial History of English and American Silver, 1985, no. 1 p. 160. A coffee pot of 1731 is now in the Portland Art Museum, Portland, Oregon.
For a discussion of the Cliffords as patrons of Kandler, see Peter Cameron, "Henry Jernegan, the Kandlers and the Client who Changed his Mind," Silver Society Journal, no. 8, Autumn 1996, p. 499.