The arms are those of Wilson with those of Wilson in pretence, as borne by Mathew Wilson (1772-1854). His wife Margaret Clive Wilson (1764-1848), the only daughter and heiress of Mathew Wilson (1730-1802) of Eshton Hall, was his first cousin. Mathew Wilson was a magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant for the West Riding of Yorkshire and the county of Lancaster. The family had purchased the Eshton Estate in the mid-17th century and possessed considerable property. In 1825-26, Mathew Wilson rebuilt Eshton Hall, which was also known for its extensive library collected by Margaret Clive Wilson's daughter from her first marriage, Frances Mary Richardson Currer.
This design for wine coolers was popular, with examples in both silver and silver-gilt produced by Digby Scott and Benjamin Smith and by Paul Storr. A pair of silver wine coolers with applied arms by Digby Scott and Benjamin Smith of 1804 sold at Sotheby's, New York, April 22, 1998, lot 253. A silver-gilt pair, with the applied armorials of Prince Christopher Lieven by Paul Storr of 1813 sold in these rooms, April 11, 1995, lot 237. A pair by Benjamin Smith of 1807 with applied armorials by Paul Storr of 1813 sold from the collection of President and Mrs. Ferdinand Marcos by the Republic of the Philippines in these rooms, January 10, 1991, lot 46. A further pair of silver-gilt coolers, with stands by Benjamin Smith of 1807, from the Earl of Lonsdale, sold at Christie's, London, November 24, 1971, lot 74.