A PAIR OF FINE GEORGE IV SILVER-GILT DOUBLE WINE DECANDER TROLLEYS, each with two circular coasters with wood bases and vine tendril sides, on four steel rimmed openwork wheels and with double scroll and baluster-shaped ivory handle with rosette terminal and with similar shorter handle at the rear, the bases each engraved with a coat-of-arms, by Benjamin Smith, 1827, each stamped 'LEWIS ST JAMES'S STREET'
19½in. (49.5cm.) long
The arms are those of Vane quartering the arms of France, England, Scotland and Ireland (the arms of Charles II), impaling Russell for William Harry Vane, 1st Marquess of Cleveland and 3rd Earl of Darlington (1766-1842) and his second wife Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Russell of Newton House, Burmiston, co. York, whom he married on 27th July 1813. Vane was created Marquess of Cleveland on 5th October 1827 and later created 1st Duke of Cleveland and 1st Baron Raby of Raby Castle, co. Durham. The Dukedom was taken from his ancestress, Barbara Villers, Duchess of Cleveland. He was created a Knight of the Garter in 1839 and was the Whig M.P. for Totnes from 1788 until 1790 and M.P. for Winchelsea from 1788 until 1790 and was Lord Lieutenant of Durham for forty nine years. (2)
The Lord Barnard T.D., Removed from Raby Castle, Co. Durham, Sold Chritsie's, 15th July 1975, lot 133