A pupil of Dantan, Guillaume and Cavelier, Andr-Joseph Allar (d.1926) won the Prix de Rome in 1869 and continued his studies in Italy. Returning to France in the early 1870s, Allar exhibited at the Salon and at the Universal Exhibitions, winning numerous medals. A versatile and prolific sculptor, Allar worked in various different media with equal success. His oeuvre includes many commissions for the decoration of public buildings and monuments, such as the Palais de Justice, the Opra-Comique, the anatomy gallery at the Jardin des Plantes and the Grand Palais. The present pair of figures, emblematic of Music and Astronomy, probably formed part of a larger set, representing other sectors of the Arts and Sciences, and may originally have adorned the faade of a public building.