The original models were executed in biscuit de Svres and exhibited by Simon-Louis Boizot (1743-1809) in the Salon of 1786. They are variations of the same subjects treated by Marsy and Girardon which were the reductions of marble Enlvements planned by Le Brun and erected in the garden at Versailles in 1684-1687 to decorate the Parterre d'Eau.
Simon-Louis Boizot was the son of Antoine Boizot, painter, and was born in the Gobelins at Paris. He began as the pupil of Slodtz and obtained a first prize for sculpture in 1762, which admitted him to a scholarship in the royal schools. He made the usual journey to Rome as a pensionnaire of the Academy, and became an academician in 1778, his morceau de rception being his statue of Meleager now in the Louvre. From 1774 to 1785 he was in charge of the culpture section of the Manufacture Royale de Svres, for which he executed numerous models. During the Revolution he escaped the eclipse which overtook so many of the royal sculptors, and was made a member of the commissions appointed to take over the protection of works of art and science, and contributed to the decoration of the column of the Grande Arme in the Place Vendme.
Two 18th century bronze versions are in the Wallace Collection, London.