These drawing-room chairs are elegantly serpentined in the fashion popularised around 1730, and the upholstered backs are framed en suite with the seat-rails. Architectural-tablet backs of this form, with hollowed sides and indented corners, feature on chairs formerly in the Berkeley collections (P. Macquoid, A History of English Furniture; The Age of Mahogany, 1906, p. 40, fig 34). Similar chairs were also supplied to Edward, 3rd Lord Leigh for Stoneleigh Abbey, Warwickshire, sold Christie's London, 19 November 1981, lots 112-114.
These chairs once formed part of the collection of Mrs. Harrison Williams, later Countess Mona Bismarck. See footnote to the previous lot regarding this legendary figure.