These gilded, richly sculpted chairs reflect the George II fashion called 'Modern' in Thomas Chippendale's, The Gentleman and Cabinet-Maker's Director, 1754. Their leg pattern, of Roman 'truss' form enriched with Roman acanthus and diaper pattern and boldly carved hairy claw foot, was adopted for a suite possibly supplied in the 1750s by the celebrated cabinet-maker and tapissier, Paul Saunders, to Hugh, 1st Duke of Northumberland for Northumberland House, Strand. One of the long stools was sold, The Property of a Lady, Christie's, London, 14 June 2001, lot 45. The cartouche-centered knee also relates to the suite supplied by Saunders to the Earl of Leicester for Holkham, Norfolk in 1757.
A chair with a similarly carved foot, and attributed to Giles Grendey and in the collection of The Earl of Radnor, Longford Castle, Wiltshire, is illustrated in A. Coleridge, Chippendale Furniture, London, 1968, fig 376, while the diaper pattern ground appears on the ornately carved stand of a press cupboard also attributed to Grendey, in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, op. cit., fig. 372.
An armchair, which must have been made as part of the current suite was sold from the collection of Gordon and Anne Getty, 21-22 October 1999, lot 446.