Related, but unfretted, 'Hall chairs' were invoiced in 1730 for Ham House, Surrey by the King Street cabinet-maker George Nix (fl. 1744-1751), but these chairs' ribbon-frets of Roman foliage reflect the mid-18th century 'Modern' fashion of Thomas Chippendale's The Gentleman and Cabinet-Maker's Director, 1754 (P. Thornton, 'The Furnishing and Decoration of Ham House, Surrey', Furniture History, 1980, fig. 167). The present chairs may well have formed part of the suite from Tyttenhanger, Hertfordshire and could have been acquired for the house by Sir Henry Blount, 3rd Baronet following his inheritance of the estate in 1731 (H. A. Tipping, 'Tyttenhanger-II', Country Life, 11 October 1919, p. 454).