These chairs are nearly identical to a set of eighteen painted satinwood chairs supplied by Geo. Seddon, Sons & Shackleton to Elisha Tupper for Hautville House, Guernsey at a cost of 73s 6d per chair. One of these chairs is now at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London and is illustrated in English Chairs, 1970, pl. 104. Another suite in satinwood belonging to the late 1st Viscount Leverhulme, The Hill, Hampstead, sold Anderson Galleries, New York, 9 February 1926, lots 52 and 53. A painted pair was sold in these Rooms, 20 January 1995, lot 319.
The firm of Seddon at Aldersgate Street, London was the largest furniture-making firm at the end of the 18th century, although few pieces are labelled or documented. The firm was established by George Seddon (d.1804) in about 1750. He was joined by his sons in 1785 and his son-in-law Thomas Shackleton in 1790-95. George Seddon II joined into partnership with Nicholas Morel in 1827 working largely for the Royal Family (G. Beard and C. Gilbert, eds., Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1600-1840, 1986, pp. 793-798).