The George III French-fashioned 'cabriolet chair', with rose-flowered and laurel-wreathed 'medallion' backs, are ink-inscribed with the name 'Thellusson' and are likely to have been supplied to Peter Thellusson (d.1797), brother of the Parisian banker George de Thelluson. Peter Thellusson owned an estate at Plaistow, Kent, but these chairs were most probably supplied for his London House. They are also inscribed with the name 'Fell', which may be that of the cabinet-maker Lawrence Fell (d.1797). In addition there is a numbered inscription, which appears to read '132' or '732'. However it could be intended to read '1782', which would be appropriate for the period of their manufacture. Two years previously Fell had entered into partnership with James Newton (d.1797) trading in Compton Street. A suite of related drawing room chairs, with rose-decked 'cartouche' backs and similarly carved legs, are now in Thelluson's Yorkshire house at Brodsworth (see C. Whitworth, Brodsworth Hall, English Heritage Publication, 1995, p.9). Another pair of the present pattern, but lacking scrolls at the joints of the uprights and back 'medallions', was sold in these Rooms from the collection of 'the late R. Olaf Hambro, Esq.' on 2 October 1961, lot 95.