The medallion-backed chairs, with palm-wrapped and acroteria-capped columnar legs, are designed in the French manner of the 1770s. They were possibly commissioned by Sir Roger Mostyn, 5th Baronet (d. 1796) for Bodysgallen, North Wales at the time of his marriage in 1776 to Margaret Wynne. They relate closely to a set of chairs thought to have been executed at this period for Langley Hall (now Park), Norfolk at the St. Martin's Lane workshops of Thomas Chippendale (d. 1779) and his son Thomas Chippendale Junoir (d.1822). Four chairs of this set, which were illustrated in J. Fowler and J. Cornforth, English Decoration in the 18th Century, London, 2nd ed., 1978, fig. 137, were sold anonymously in these Rooms, 9 July 1992, lot 70.
A similar giltwood armchair is illustrated in C. Claxton Stevens and S. Whittington, 18th Century English Furniture, The Norman Adams Collection, Woodbridge, rev. ed., 1985, p. 68.