The sideboard plate-basket stands, with round-medallion and antique-fluted frames, are designed in the 'Roman' fashion promoted by George III's court architect Robert Adam (d. 1792); while their serpentine trussed leg reflects the elegant 'French' fashion introduced in the 1760s. This form of leg is rarely found on parlour chairs, but does appear on a set, whose palm-flowered backs correspond to a pattern introduced in 1772 by the St. Martin's Lane cabinet-maker Thomas Chippendale (d. 1779). A pair of the latter chairs was sold anonymously, in these Rooms, 15 April 1999, lot 52). The set of 'compass back' chairs, with the same reed-banded legs headed by gothic-cusped arches, was supplied, together with a 'neat mahogany plate basket' for the dining-room designed by Adam at Mersham-le-Hatch (P. Thornton, 'The Furnishing of Mersham-le-Hatch, part II', Apollo, June 1970, p. 44, fig. 6).