The chest of drawers' 'French' cut and gothic ribbon-fretted pilasters terminating in serpentined 'truss' feet relate to the George II 'Modern' patterned 'chests' illustrated in Thomas Chippendale's The Gentleman and Cabinet-Maker's Director, 1754 (pls. 85/LXXXV and 103/CIII).
The large brick mansion of Bostock Hall, was built in 1775 to the designs of Samuel Wyatt (1737-1807) for Edward Tomkinson, eldest son of James Tomkinson, a lawyer who had purchased the Dorfold Estate, near Nantwich in 1754. After Edward Tomkinson's death in 1792, Bostock and its estate was sold to James France, a descendant of an ancient Lancashire family of Liverpool merchants. It then passed to the France-Hayhurst family, Cheshire landowners who also owned Davenham Hall and Whatcroft Hall, near Middlewich. The France-Hayhursts extensively remodelled the house in the 19th century.