The hall chairs have fluted medallion backs rayed from an escutcheon bearing the Midleton crest of George Brodrick, 4th Viscount Midleton (d. 1836). They were executed in the 1770s under the direction of Sir William Chambers (d. 1796) for the entrance/banqueting hall of Peper Harow, Sussex. The chairs, whose Palladian patera-enriched and antique-fluted rails harmonise with the hall door entablatures, are likely to have been executed by Mayhew and Ince, cabinet-makers of Golden Square and authors of The Universal System of Household Furniture, 1762. The firm supplied related stone-painted chairs for Broadlands, Hampshire (see H. Roberts, 'The Ince and Mayhew Connection', Country Life, 29 January 1981, p. 289, fig. 4). That set shares the distinctive roundel and flute seat-rail with these chairs.
Six chairs from the same set as the present lot were sold by a family trust, in these Rooms, 21 April 1994, lots 304-306.