These elegant library chairs are conceived in the 1780's manner of French-fashioned 'cabriole' chairs, and, with their arched backs festooned with Roman acanthus-husks, they relate to patterns in A. Hepplewhite & Co.'s Cabinet Maker and Upholsterer's Guide, 1788, (pls. 10-12). One, with arms rising from the front legs, was noted as having been executed for the Buckingham Palace apartments of George, Prince of Wales, later George IV. By 1782, the architect James Wyatt (d.1815) had formed a close working relationship with the cabinet-making firm of Gillows of Oxford Street and Lancaster, whose related 'Wyatt' chair, with columnar legs and palm-wrapped capitals, was introduced in that year (L. Boynton, Gillow Furniture Designs, Royston, 1995, fig. 275). The seat-rails of the present chairs are also enriched with 'antique' drapery festoons as feature in many of Wyatt's designs. The Hepplewhite firm also illustrated this pattern of reeded chair leg, and it appears in many of Gillows working sketches, such as their armchair pattern of 1789 (L. Boynton, op. cit., fig. 274).