The design of the present chairs evolved from patterns for Chinese trellis-backed chairs published by Thomas Chippendale in his Gentleman and Cabinet-Maker's Director, 1762, pls. XXVI-XXVIII. Chippendale noted that such chairs suited Chinese Temples and explained that his 'Designs of chairs after the Chinese manner ... are very proper for a lady's Dressing Room, especially if it is hung with India (Chinese) paper.'
Chairs with trellis-filled backs with pagoda-surmounted toprails formerly at Normanton Park and now at Grimsthorpe have been tentatively ascribed to the cabinet-maker Thomas Chippendale (d. 1779) (C. Gilbert, The Life and Work of Thomas Chippendale, London, 1978, p. 249 & fig. 167). A similar set of nine yew-wood chairs, possibly supplied by the Wakefield firm of cabinet-makers, Wright & Elwick, for Charles, 2nd Marquess of Rockingham (d. 1782) at Wentworth Woodhouse, Yorkshire, were sold by the Trustees of the Olive, Countess Fitzwilliam Chattels Settlement, in these Rooms, 8 July 1998, lot 36.