These urns can be confidently attributed to Thomas Chippendale (d.1779) based upon a virtually identical pair that were part of an extensive commission supplied in 1774 to Paxton House, Berwick, Scotland (C. Gilbert, The Life and Work of Thomas Chippendale, London, 1978, p.194, fig. 353). A more elaborate, earlier variation of this model, that shares the same base and distinctive swag and satyr mask mounts, was supplied in 1771 to the 1st Baron Lascelles for Harewood House, Yorkshire (Ibid, fig. 352). As with the documented examples, this pair of urns would have been originally supplied with pedestals.