The 'goat's head vase' is derived from a sketch illustrated in the Firm's pattern books. The model was one of the most popular of the smaller vases and first appeared in 1769 when a Mrs Yeats ordered '1 pair of goat's head vauses light blue cheny or enamelled'. In the same year, Sir William Guise ordered a pair with blue-john bodies. Other buyers of goat's head vases include Lord Digby in 1774 and Lord Scarsdale in 1772, who paid £4 4s a pair. Several models appear with 'antique' medallions, depicting the head of Alexander the Great, suspended from the rim of the each vase (Goodison, op. cit., pp. 331-333). A virtually identical pair of vases was recently sold The Property of a Gentleman, Christie's, London, 9 June 2005, lot 217.