The provision of elegant lighting, suitable for the glittering Roman style apartments introduced by George III's Rome-trained court architects Sir William Chambers (d. 1796) and Robert Adam (d. 1792), was facilitated in the late 1760s with the establishment by Matthew Boulton and John Fothergill of a manufactory for such 'vase' candelabra executed in French-fashioned ormolu. These objets d'art, recalling the festive wine 'kraters' of antiquity, were primarily intended as garnitures for mantelpieces or gueridon-stands, but also served as candle-bearers and 'cassolette' essence-pots. While thyrsic finials, sacred to the wine-deity Bacchus, crown their domed lids, bacchic lion-pelts veil their polished 'egg' bodies of rich veined Derbyshire 'blue-john' fluorspar, which are mounted on antique-fluted and reeded pedestals with conjoined Grecian-stepped plinths. Boulton, who derived this 'lyon' face from a Parisian candlestick that was designed with hermed and veil-draped lion-monopodiae in the Egyptian style, once wrote that while assimilating elements from various styles such as the 'French, Roman, Athenian, Egyptian, Arabesk, and Etruscan' , he always took 'elegant simplicity' as his leading principal (N. Goodison, Matthew Boulton: Ormolu, London, 2002, pp. 66-7 and p. 187).