The armchairs, with their French-fashioned 'cabriolet' back and 'antique' fluted frame popularised by the architect Sir William Chambers' Treatise on Civil Architecture, 1759, share many distinctive characteristics associated with late 18th century elite London cabinet-makers centered around the Soho-St Martin's Lane quarter.
A set of six giltwood chairs of virtually the same design and sharing the same construction features including an exposed back strut, batten holes and cramp cuts was almost certainly supplied by cabinet-makers Mayhew and Ince to George Greville, 2nd Earl of Warwick for Warwick Castle. Payments to Mayhew and Ince are recorded to Lord Greville from 1774-1777. The chairs remained at Warwick until sold in 1968. They were later sold at Christie's, London, the property of a Gentleman, 10 April 2003, lot 25.
Another related pair of armchairs was sold by a Lady of Title, Christie's, London, 30 November 2000, lot 116. These chairs, bearing the further embellishment of a laurel-festooned medallion back, compare to examples thought to have been supplied for Cobham Hall, Kent, by Mayhew and Ince (sold anonymously, Christie's, London, 19 November 1992, lot 104).