The candlesticks with their shaped triangular bases are designed in the 'antique' style. The stems are each formed as the figure of Flora, the festive goddess of fertility, flowers and Spring. She is depicted as a caryatid enslaved by love, bearing a cornucopia, which forms the upper stem and supports the drip-pan and socket. While the subject derives from Ovid's Metamorphoses, concerning the loves of the gods, the inspiration for its design 'A la Romaine' comes from a Louis XIV gueridon torchère or candlestand. The latter, which is likely to have accompanied a dressing or sideboard-table, was invented by Jean le Pautre (1618-1682), about the time he was elected Dessignateur et Graveur to the French Royal Academy in 1660. The engraving of the stand published in Le Pautre's Livre de Mirroirs, Tables et Gueridons was later re-issued in London in 1676 by John Overton.
The candlesticks would have been commissioned from Thomas Heming, the Principal Goldsmith to the King, for Lord Arundell's new country house Wardour Castle, Wilshire, which was being built to the design of the architect James Paine (1717-1789) between 1770 and 1776.