The pair of Grecian-scrolled bergeres, embellished with their palm-flowered Roman acanthus, are conceived in the French antique or Louis Quatorze style that was introduced during George IV's Regency, and is particularly linked to the Wyatt architectural family's close working association with Gillow of London and Lancaster.
They were commissioned for Glynllifon by Thomas John Wynn, 2nd Baron Newborough (d. 1832) following his coming-of-age in 1823; and were designed by Gillows to flank the fireplace of the Drawing Room. They harmonised with the room's Grecian palm-flowered cornice, and an acanthus-scrolled overmantel mirror that was supplied by Gillow and Co. The firm introduced similar styled furniture for a number of contemporary drawing rooms, whose richly draped curtains were also hung from acanthus-scrolled pelmets.
This pair of bergere chairs, supplied en suite with sofas for the Large Drawing Room, were invoiced by Gillow & Co. in March 1824 as:
'2 Rosewood Rutland Chairs, richly carved frames en suit [sic] with Sofas, stuffed in fine canvas ... @ £33.0.0. ... £66.0.0.'. They were upholstered with Taberay and gold coloured gimp at a further cost of £11.10.6., and supplied with brown holland throw-over covers at a cost of £2.6.0.'