These chairs, with arcaded backs flowered in quatrefoiled frets, are designed in the early l9th century Gothic style promoted by architects such as James Wyatt (d. 1813), who was considered by George III to be 'perfect in that style'. The pattern for their backs derives in particular from the 13th century Coronation chair displayed at Westminster Abbey, where Wyatt had been appointed 'Surveyor' in 1776 (C. Graham, Ceremonial and Commemorative Chairs in Britain, London 1994, fig. 47). It was James Wyatt, who began the extensive work of Windsor Castle's transformation into the Gothic palace, which was completed by his nephew Jeffry Wyatt, later Sir Jeffry Wyattville (d. 1840). These chairs may have been among the George IV furnishings introduced to the Castle in the 1820s.