These corner cabinets, with their carefully articulated yet elegantly synthesized elements, were probably made in Berlin. The juxtaposition of sumptuous mounts - both jewel-like and robust - with areas of architectural and trellis marquetry, is characteristic of furniture made by Berlin cabinetmakers J.G. Fiedler (1775-86) and the Spindler brothers. The corner cabinets reflect the technical virtuosity of Berlin's metalworkers and cabinetmakers, as well as the neo-classic interests of the Crown Prince, Friedrich Wilhelm.
While rooted in the Berlin neo-classic tradition, the richness of these corner cabinets is in some respects, consistent with the court style fostered by Frederick the Great. The design of the doors for example, may be compared to earlier floor designs by Franz Zeller of Mannheim from 1756 (see W. Wiese and R. Stratmann-Döhler, Möbel für den Fürstenhof, Karlsruhe, 1994, p.105). The clever writing-desk mechanism is also reminiscent of the work of other German cabinetmakers, particularly that of Roentgen.
Elements of these corner cabinets may be compared to two by J.G. Fiedler, illustrated in H.Kreisel, Die Kunst des Deutschen Möbels, vol. 3, Munich, 1973, figs. 37 and 38, as well as to the Clanwilliam commode sold at Christie's London, June 13, 1991, lot 90.