This 'Roman' stool pattern, displaying Venus shells on scale-imbricated trusses terminating in bacchic lion paws, was invented in the mid-1730's to accompany two throne-like armchairs that were supplied for the Withdrawing Room at Hampton Court Palace. The armchairs were designed by the artist/architect William Kent (d. 1748) for Queen Caroline. Part of the original set of eighteen stools, invoiced in 1736-1737 by the Long Acre chair-maker Henry William (d. 1758), remain in situ at Hampton Court while others form part of the Benjamin Disraeli collection at Hughenden Manor, Buckinghamshire (R. Edwards and M. Jourdain, Georgian Cabinet-Makers, London, 1955, fig. 217 and The National Trust, Hughenden Manor, 1988). There is a throne with matching frame at Hatfield House, Hertfordshire (A. Coleridge, 'English Furniture and Cabinet-makers at Hatfield House', Burlington Magazine, February, 1967, pp. 63-68, fig. 31).
They may conceivably have been made by the firm Lenygon & Morant, who were established in Old Burlington Street in 1915 and specialised in furniture in the early 18th century style.