It was probably Mervyn Wingfield (d. 1904), 7th Viscount Powerscourt who acquired these magnificent giant deer or 'Irish elk' antlers: Christopher Hussey, in his 1946 articles on Powerscourt, described the 7th Viscount' 'collection scarcely to be matched elsewhere of ancient and notable stags' horns ... And there is of course, an Irish elk head, one of the finest specimens of this extinct giant' (C. Hussey, op. cit., p. 1066).
Powerscourt, one of the most famous of all Irish houses, was largely the creation of Richard Wingfield (d. 1751), 1st Viscount Powerscourt from 1728-43 to designs by Richard Castle. It was extensively remodelled by the 6th & 7th Viscounts Powerscourt throughout the 19th Century. From 1842, its magnificent formal gardens were laid out by Daniel Robertson, in the grand Baroque manner of princely gardens in Italy and Austria.